The Americans with Disabilities Act
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) and Chapter 760, Part I, Florida Statutes, the “Florida Civil Rights Act”:
• Happy Trails will not partake in the act of making unfair or prejudicial distinctions between people based on the groups, classes, or other categories to which they belong or are perceived to belong, such as race, gender, age, religion, or sexual orientation. Due to safety and hazard risks of riding and being near horses Happy Trails will provide rides on horseback to anyone who meets our basic requirements that are currently posted on our website indicating requirements to attend rides with safety for all attendants to the ride. We will post signage on the property indicating these as well.
• Anyone can access the property as it is wheelchair accessible and there is not much of an incline/decline for those with walking issues, but they will not be able to get near or be involved with the horses for safety concerns. We are not able offer special programs for those with advanced mental or physical limitations. Happy Trails is not certified to provide a Para-Equestrian or disabled therapeutic type of program.
• Those who meet the basic requirements may partake in this adventure due to high safety risks.
Here are the ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA for ALL participants:
This Adventure is a very physical outdoor activity!
ALL Riders of the horses MUST:
– be at least 13 years old and no less than 4 ft tall (to reach the stirrups)
– be accompanied, on the ride, by their legal guardian if they are under the age of 16
– be under the weight of 240lbs
– be able to mount and dismount on their own (we can provide a step to assist)
– be able to physically hold themselves on the horse without assistance
– be able to physically control the horse with the reigns, after receiving riding lesson and safety brief
– be able to see and hear riding lesson and safety brief
– be able to understand (in English) and implement instructions that are provided to them.
– Wear close toed shoes (i.e.: Sneakers, boots, but not sandals or crocks or slip on type shoes)
– Wear a provided helmet (you may wear a ball cap, bandanna, or scarf to protect your hair under the helmet)
Do you have a concern or question regarding access and inclusion?
Happy Trails will handle any complaint with legitimacy and delicateness. Each complaint that may come in will be unique in their situation. We will help them understand the guidelines for this adventure and patiently explain why avoiding the above requirements for this ride would be a danger to them, the staff, other riders, and the horses. We are not able to make special accommodations in most situations due to safety risks but we will see if we can come to a manageable resolve for all parties involved as we want everyone to know the wonder of horses to the best of their capability.